The Ministry of Advanced Education funded the BC Open Textbook Project and tasked BCcampus with managing it from 2012-2015. The goal of the BC Open Textbook Project is to provide flexible and affordable access to higher education learning resources in BC by making available openly licensed textbooks that align with the most highly enrolled first and second year undergraduate subject areas, as well as in selected skills training and trades subject areas. As of February 2016, BCcampus and its institutional partners have saved BC students over $1.2 million in textbook fees.
In 2016, BCcampus, working closely with BC’s higher education institutions, will continue to advance the Province’s open, affordable education vision by continuing to build the BC Open Textbook collection. In addition, with financial support from the Hewlett Foundation, BCcampus will broaden the efforts in two key ways:
- Support the development of engaging, interactive resources that complement the BC Open Textbook collection.
- Encourage faculty to incorporate open educational practices in their teaching.
Call for Proposals: Ancillary Materials Development
The BCcampus Open Education Team is pleased to announce a call for proposals is to create ancillary support material for existing open textbooks that could assist faculty in adopting the open textbook. This material can include:
- Testbanks of questions based on an existing open textbook.
- Presentations (PowerPoint, Open Office, Prezi, etc)
- Multimedia content, such as audio or video, that could further enhance the textbook.
- Instructor and student manuals.
- Additional learning activities.
Call for Proposals: Open Educational Resource Grants
The BCcampus Open Education Team is pleased to announce a call for proposals for Institutions (e.g. Teaching and Learning Centre, Library, OER Working Group) to provide small open educational resource grants, funded by BCcampus and matched by the Institution. Open Educational Resource grants may be used for, but not limited to:
- Adaptation of Open Textbooks or Open Educational Resources
- Creation of Open Educational Resources
- Course Redesign using Open Educational Resources
Visit the Open Textbook Library to view the entire selection of Open Textbooks.