A one-day workshop for EVERYBODY interested in open textbooks. There are two locations as well as options for online participation:
- Thompson Rivers University, TRUSU Board Room, Student Union Building, November 27, 9:00 – 15:30
- University of Northern British Columbia, Room 6-205 UNBC Conference Centre, November 29, 9:30 – 15:30 (Will also be webcast via Blackboard Collaborate http://bit.ly/unbc-opentextbooks)
There is a lot of buzz about open textbooks and the financial benefits to our students. However, many conversations and much learning needs to happen between now and realizing that goal. This workshop will take the first steps in that direction. Together we will explore:
- options for finding, selecting, and building on existing open educational resources (OER)
- processes for creative commons licensing
- accessibility considerations
- individual and institutional changes in practice, and
- ideas for adoption and advocacy.
We will also share experiences to gain insights into what we should be aware of when venturing into the use of OER.
Una Daly, Community College Outreach Director at the Open Courseware Consortium (OCW), will be facilitating this event along with others in the BC post-secondary system. At OCW, Una promotes awareness and adoption of open educational practices to improve teaching and learning. Prior to joining the consortium, she was the Director of the College Open Textbooks Collaborative promoting adoption of open accessible textbooks through faculty adopter communities and accessibility awareness for creation and reuse of open educational materials.
Who should participate?
Are you interested in providing students quality resources to support their learning? Are you curious about what is involved in adopting open textbooks? Would you like to get together with colleagues for a full day of hand-on exploration and interesting dialogue? Do you have questions about open textbooks? Do you have expertise to share? If you answer is yes or maybe to any of these questions then you should participate in this workshop!
How to participate
- Register online by November 23, 2012.
- We will contact you and post further details here about the day.
- The world of open textbooks is a whole new territory. Start jotting down your questions!
Who can answer your questions about the workshop?
BCcampus: Sylvia Currie (email@example.com 250.318.2907)
TRU: Brian Lamb (firstname.lastname@example.org), Irwin Devries (email@example.com)
UNBC: Grant Potter (Grant.Potter@unbc.ca), Heather Smith (Heather.Smith@unbc.ca)