Reconciliation through Indigenous Education
Begins: September 29th, 2015
Course Length: 6 weeks
Free Online Course
About this Course
Governments, school boards and Indigenous communities have identified Indigenous education as a key priority, identifying specific educational goals to ensure the educational success of Indigenous learners. There is growing educational policy at local, provincial, territorial, and national levels that tell us there needs to be change in the way we design, deliver and assess learning opportunities for Indigenous learners. Educators need to be able to respond to education reform that prioritizes improved educational outcomes for Indigenous children and youth.
Reconciliation is a focal point for building and sustaining respectful relationships among Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in countries such as Canada and Australia, with relevance to the US and New Zealand. Through the lens of reconciliation participants of this course will engage with educational leaders and resources that provide direction for how education programs and teaching practices can be modified in order to meaningfully integrate Indigenous knowledge worldviews and pedagogies in classrooms, schools and communities. Teachers, administrators, staff, community educators, researchers and young people will come to see that changing our education practices, requires changing our ideas with benefits for all learners.
Registration is done on the edX website. Go to the course webpage at https://www.edx.org/course/reconciliation-through-indigenous-ubcx-indedu200x-0#.VNJwy4eTFXG and you’ll see “Register” at the top right corner. Follow the instructions to create your account and register in the course.
What you’ll learn
- Explore personal and professional histories and assumptions in relation to Indigenous peoples, histories, and worldviews
- Develop awareness and knowledge of the colonial histories and current realities of Indigenous peoples
- Engage with Indigenous worldviews and perspectives that contextualize and support your understanding of the theory and practices of Indigenous education
- Explore a range of educational experiences shared by educators and through teaching exemplars that support the inclusion of Indigenous perspectives and approaches to learning in schools and classrooms
- Develop strategies to engage Indigenous families and community members in classrooms and schools
Engage in personal and professional discussions, online, with colleagues from a range of educational settings